Make your own free website on
U C D 3 - 1 Y O U G H A L
McAuley 19, R Martin 71, Martyn 81 Murphy 50
FAI Cup Second Round, Belfield Park - Sunday, January 7, 2001

Irish Times - Monday, January 8, 2001
Read the report from the Irish Times site

Students relieved to pass stiff test
UCD duly booked their place in the third round but not before being given a real fright by a battling Youghal Utd at Belfield Park yesterday.

The Munster Senior League side gifted College a goal after 20 minutes. But this seemed only to inspire them to greater efforts with a magnificent equaliser from Derek Murphy early in the second half.

UCD eventually wore down their opponents with late goals from Robbie Martin and Ciarán Martyn. But it was a close call.

The students went ahead when a harmless looking cross from the left caused a mix-up between the Youghal goalkeeper, Kieran Fleming, and David Coleman. The defender chested the ball into the path of Robert McAuley, who scored into an unguarded net.

Fleming made quick amends with a magnificent double save from Tony McDonnell's header just before the interval.

Youghal were level on 50 minutes after UCD goalkeeper, Paddy O'Leary, could only partially punch away a free-kick on the left. The ball fell for Murphy, who fired home from 22 yards.

The introduction of 18-yearold substitutes Kevin Grogan and Robbie Martin saved UCD's blushes. Grogan's long-range free-kick from the right after 72 minutes was headed home by the unmarked Martin.

Victory was made certain eight minutes from the end when an Martyn calmly shot past the advancing Fleming. It was a relieved UCD at the final whistle while Youghal fully deserved the standing ovation from their supporters.

UCD: O'Leary; Mahon, McDonnell, Delaney, McLoughlin; J Martin (Grogan 56 mins), Kavanagh, Martyn, McAuley; Bennis (R Martin 66 mins), Fitzpatrick (Kilmurray 83 mins).

YOUGHAL UNITED: Fleming; Kiely, Murphy, Horgan, Coleman (O'Droscoll 46 mins); Kearns (White 79 mins), Corcoran (Kenneally 83 mins), Goggin, Hennessey; Forrest, Healy.

Referee: R O'Hanlon (Waterford).