Make your own free website on
U C D 3 - 1 Y O U G H A L
McAuley 19, R Martin 71, Martyn 81 Murphy 50
FAI Cup Second Round, Belfield Park - Sunday, January 7, 2001

Irish Examiner - Monday, January 8, 2001
Read the report from the Examiner site

Battling Youghal test UCD
Charlie Stuart from Belfield

UCD duly booked their place in the third round of the FAI Cup but not before being given a real scare by a battling Youghal United at Belfield Park yesterday.
After gifting a disastrous 20th minute goal to the students, the Munster Senior League men fought their way back into the game following a superb equalising goal from Derek Murphy early in the second half.
It was only UCDís experience and superior fitness that eventually told with late goals from Robbie Martin and Ciaran Martyn.
Despite the fact that Youghal were on the defensive for long periods, their stubborn resistance almost earned them a midweek replay until that late flourish by College.
The students had grabbed the lead when a harmless looking cross from the left by full back Eamon McLoughlin led to a mix up between Youghal keeper, Kieran Fleming and defender David Coleman.
It appeared that Coleman did not hear a shout from Fleming and then he had the misfortune to chest the ball into the path of Robert McAuley. The midfielder had the simple task of steering the ball into the unguarded net.
Youghal had looked dangerous in breakaways and David Kearns had one long range effort just over the bar, while Seamus Forrest almost carved open a chance for Alan Healy.
But generally it was College who were in control.
Fleming came to the visitorsí rescue with a magnificent double save from a Tony McDonnell header seconds before the interval. Somehow the keeper managed to get back to push the ball over the bar after the first effort had been fingertipped over his head.
Roared on by 400 enthusiastic travelling supporters, Youghal were level on 50 minutes after UCD keeper, Paddy OíLeary, standing in for flu victim Barry Ryan, could only partially punch clear a free on the left.
The ball fell invitingly for Murphy who fired home a rocket shot from 22 yards that sparked off huge celebrations among the Youghal fans.
With Murphy and Anthony Horgan in outstanding form in the visitorsí defence, College were totally frustrated and it required an inspired double substitution by boss Martin Moran to prevent the tie going to a replay. Kevin Grogan and Robbie Martin, both 18 year olds, were introduced midway through the second half for John Martin and Eoin Bennis. That move paid immediate dividends.
Groganís long range free out on the right after 72 minutes was headed home at the far post by the unmarked Martin.
Then victory was made certain eight minutes from the end when former Manchester United youngster Grogan skipped past two defenders to set up the opening for Martyn.
He coolly shot past the advancing Fleming to secure a place in tonightís third round draw in Dublin.
It was a brave effort by Youghal and one fully appreciated by their fans at the final whistle as they gave their team a fully deserved standing ovation.
For College it was an unsatisfactory performance given their almost total domination of all factors of the game, a fact later admitted by a relieved boss Moran.