Make your own free website on
Y O U G H A L 2 - 1 W H I T E H A L L
Corcoran 71, A Healy 79 P Healy 51
FAI Cup First Round, Ardrath Park - Sunday, November 19, 2000

Cup-tie fever hits Youghal after Whitehall win
William Downing from Ardrath Park

Munster Senior League outfit Youghal United have fingers crossed for a plum home tie in the second round of the FAI Cup after sending top Dublin non-leaguers Whitehall Rangers out of the competition.

Founded in the mid-eighties, the East Cork side were playing in their first ever tie in the senior edition of the FAI Cup, having qualified via their best ever performance in the FAI Intermediate Cup.

Now, they're praying for the likes of St Patrick's Athletic, Shelbourne, Bohemians, Cork City and Shamrock Rovers to be drawn out after them when the second round pairings are decided on December 11th.The Metropolitans were playing in the FAI Cup proper for the fifth time in six seasons, but found themselves overturned by a determined Seaside outfit.

Severe gale force winds blowing in from the mouth of the Blackwater resulted in a lack-lustre first half, which should have ended with the visitors ahead.

However, Whitehall centre-forward Paddy Healy hooked over from 12 yards.

The black and white's number nine made amends, however, six minutes after the restart - slaloming through the home defence before slooting past a diving Kieran Fleming.

The Youghal keeper was to deny Healy twice more in the intervening minutes, when the Dubliners' star striker was through one-on-one.

Fleming's heroic performance, allied to sterling defending from the likes of Stephen Kiely, Dave Coleman, Derek Murphy and Anthony Horgan, gave United added impetuous, and with 19 minutes remaining, they were level.

Goalmouth confusion from a home side corner saw Gary Lester save bravely from Barry Goggin, with midfielder Shane Corcoran rifling home the rebound.

The equaliser delighted the near-thousand crowd at Ardrath Park, and there was more for the Corkonians to shout about when Youghal converted what turned out to be the winner eight minutes later.

Seamus Forrest and Alan Healy - the two goalscorers in the seasiders' 2-0 FAI Intermediate Cup win over Black Diamonds, which earned them a passage into the first round proper - combined to conjure the goal that booked Youghal their second round passage.

Forrest's pinpoint cross from the right touchline was dummied by captain Goggin, with Healy accepting his cue to rifle home from 12 yards.

It was precisely what the hosts had yearned for, just when the tie was heading towards a replay.

Sub Alan White had a gilt-edged opportunity to seal the victory with a late effort, but was off-target.

Not that it mattered, referee Anthony Buttimer's final whistle some five minutes into stoppage time was enough to kick-off a celebration that will surely last until the day of the second round draw.

Joining Youghal United will be fellow Cork outfit Rockmount, who dispatched Howth Celtic 3-0 in a replayed first round clash.

Following last week's 1-1 draw, the Corkonians were in no mood for further disappointment, with Kieran O'Shea, Pat Oldham and Steve Yelverton netting.

Ironically, their next opponents are Whitehall Rangers in the Intermediate Cup next Sunday. Home Farm were made to sweat, needing an 87th minute strike form Gerard Redmond just enough to squeak the Whitehall side through against crack Kerry outfit Tralee Dynamos.

Mark Greene was the two-goal hero as his brace sent Rathcoole into the second round.

The south Dubliners dispatched Kildare hopefuls Celbridge 2-1 after Peter King had broken the deadlock.

Rathcoole also have a busy Cup schedule at present - next week, they travel to Ardragh Park to tackle Youghal United in the fourth round of the Intermediate Cup.

Michael McAteer's early goal was enough to earn Moyle Park a 1-0 triumph over former League of Ireland outfit St James' Gate, who claimed the big prize in the first ever FAI Cup competition in 1922.

Former Cork City player Declan Roche netted a dramatic 93rd minute equaliser for Portmarnock as they held Fanad United to a one-all draw in Donegal.

The Dubliners had gone behind to an 84th minute Martin McAteer free-kick, before Roche's last-gasp spot-kick earned them their second bite of the Cup cherry that cheers.

On the subject of cherries, Liberties outfit Cherry Orchard dispatched Bluebell United 2-0 thanks to a pair from Paul Kenny, and like the rest, they're now dreaming of a big name in round two.